How to use RACER
- Because this service is available to TMU community members only, you will be asked to authenticate with your torontomu username and password before accessing the RACER registration form.
- Complete the registration form and click the Submit button.
- You will receive a confirmation of your User Id. To continue using RACER, click the ‘Here’ link.
- To ensure you get notifications from us, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts or ‘safe’ list. If you forward your TMU email to a personal account, please make sure email@example.com has been added there too.
- Login to RACER (with your university ID and password)
- Request books or copies of articles
For tips and tricks on using RACER, check out our new videos.
Choose from one of the following two options for making a request
A. Select Current Profile, search for the item you require, and then place a request using the details you find. This ensures accurate information and less typing.
B. Create a request using a blank request form. Avoids searching, but means more typing, and requires you to include the bibliographic details of the item you need.
Option A – Automatically Fill in Request Form(s)
- Use the default Standard Search to do keyword searching in any field. Select Advanced Search for specific search fields (e.g. title, author, subject heading).
- Enter your search terms . Please do not abbreviate journal titles. If you have an abbreviated Journal Title, check under ‘Resources’ in our Basic Library Guide ; try Ulrich’s Periodical Directory; or ask at the Reference Desk at 416-979-5055.
- Select the library Collections you wish to search. Selecting all catalogues will slow down your search. You can choose catalogues based on subject coverage, or use a geographic or subject profile.Note: Items held by the TMU Library, even if in use, cannot be requested for Interlibrary Loan. In addition, other libraries will not lend Reserve or Reference books. Standards and patents are not available in Interlibrary loan. Electronic journals are subject to copyright laws.
- When you see the results of your search, click Details to verify that an item is the one you want.
- Click Get it! for your desired item. Details will automatically transfer to a request form.
- Complete any blank required fields and click Request. Please request one item per form (i.e. do not request two articles using one form.)
- To return to your results list, click Search Results. You may experience difficulties if you use the browser’s back button. To start a new search, click Standard Search or Advanced Search.
- Sign out from your account when finished.
Option B – Manually fill in blank request form(s)
If you don’t find what you’re looking for in any of the catalogues/collections, you can still submit a request to your library’s Interlibrary Loan department. A form for creating a request displays when you click Blank Request Form.
To manually fill in a blank request form:
- Click Blank Request Form under My Account on the left side of the screen.
- Select the format (Book, Article, or Other). For journal articles, choose Copy. For books, choose Loan.
- Fill in all **required fields for the item you need. Please do not abbreviate journal titles. If you have an abbreviated Journal Title, check under ‘Resources’ in our Basic Library Guide ; try Ulrich’s Periodical Directory; or ask at the library’s research Help Desk at 416-979-5055, Option 3.
- Click Request. Please request one item per form i.e. do not request two articles using one form.
- To make another request, click Standard Search or Advanced Search. You may experience difficulties if you use the browser’s back button.
- Sign out from your account when finished.
When the request has been successfully sent, a report displays with a RACER-assigned ID number for tracking purposes. You may track requests using the My Requests button.
The Interlibrary Loan Department will email you when:
- The item has arrived
- Additional information is needed
- No lending location is available for the item requested.
- The request has been cancelled because the item is in the TMU Library
- The request has been cancelled due to the policies of the lending library
- The request has been cancelled due to the policies of the TMU Library.
- Please make sure firstname.lastname@example.org is added to your contacts or ‘safe’ list.
If you forward your TMU email to a personal account, please make sure email@example.com has been added there too.
Tracking the status of your ILL request
- Login to RACER
- Click My Requests. A list of your current requests will be displayed.
- If an item is no longer listed, check your email for notification about picking up your request.
- Below is a list of Status Codes and their meanings.
Idle – We will process your request shortly
Pending – Your request has been sent to a lending library
Shipped – The lending library has begun the process of shipping your item
Not Supplied – Local library staff members are searching other libraries for your item and may contact you if needed.
Conditional – A lending library has indicated it will supply your item as soon as some condition is met
Received – Your item has arrived at the library and is available. Check your email for further details
Returned – Item is being sent back to the lending library
Cancel Pending – We are in the process of canceling your request
Cancelled – Your request has been cancelled
For more information, see Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery Policies